MossRehab’s creed, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED, doesn’t just apply to patients going through recovery while under their care. It’s also about persons with disabilities getting back to the lives they had, or trying things they’ve never done before. To that end, MossRehab has created and supported a variety of recreational activities such as overnight camps for adults, surfing events, art therapy, adapted golf clinics and sponsoring the Global Abilities Wheelchair racing team for the 2015 Blue Cross Broad Street Run.
And this year, MossRehab is proud to announce they will be the official rehab sponsor of the Global Abilities wheelchair racing team for their entire 2016 season, which includes demonstrations to organizations like Wounded Warriors and 8 races including the 2016 Blue Cross Broad Street Run on Sunday, May 1.
“We’re proud the MossRehab logo and CHALLENGE ACCEPTED attitude will be with us for all of our races and demonstrations in 2016,” said Global Abilities founder and wheelchair athlete AJ Nanayakkara. “Sports and activities like wheelchair racing are valuable in helping persons with disabilities rehab physically and psychologically. Not only that, research has shown recreation helps persons with disabilities develop self-confidence, a sense of self-identity, learn valuable life skills from more experienced mentors, and become active in their communities. To me, that’s exactly what CHALLENGE ACCEPTED is all about.”
The sponsorship allows two MossRehab patients/former patients to race on the Global Abilities team free of charge. Global Abilities is providing training sessions and the equipment, making participation possible for novices who want to give the sport a try and may not otherwise have the opportunity. (If you are interested in joining the team, contact MossRehab Recreational Therapy Team Leader AnneWieland at WielandA@einstein.edu)
2016 MossRehab/ Global Abilities Wheelchair Racing Schedule
- May 1 (Sunday) 8am: Broad Street Run (Philadelphia, PA)
- May 30 (Monday) 8:15am: Kessler Foundation 10K (Ridgewood, NJ)
- Jun. 4 (Saturday) 8:30am: Scott Coffee 8K (Moorestown, NJ)
- Jul. 10 (Sunday) 7am: Boilermaker 15K (Utica, NY)
- Sept. 18 (Sunday) 7:30am: Philadelphia Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon
- Nov. 5 (Saturday) 10am: Brad Fox Memorial 5K (Plymouth Meeting, PA)
- Nov. 19 (Saturday) 7:30am: Rothman 8K (Philadelphia, PA)
- Nov. 20 (Sunday) 7am: Philadelphia Marathon (Philadelphia, PA)